Female Bettas: Sorority Sisters Fight Too

Female Bettas: Sorority Sisters Fight Too
Quick Tip

Female Betta fish can be feistier than Christian Bale on theatrical rampage. Many fighting fish enthusiasts keep female only tanks because they are more communal than their male counterparts only to be surprised later by nipped fins and missing scales. If your girls aren’t playing nice consider spreading out the aggression by keeping a larger number of fish together. Keeping 4 our 5 females in a larger aquarium will often produce less fighting and subsequent injuries than 2 or 3 in the same sized tank. As always, make sure your aquarium is large enough to handle all those girls.

Pro Terms

Fighting fish hobbyists call an all female betta tank a SORORITY.

A (mostly) female fry tank, originally uploaded by iturkstra.

Great site! I just set up a 20 gallon long as a female betta sorority. I have 10 females in there, and as of this morning only one or two are missing parts of their fins =P. The look on the peoples faces at Petsmart as I walked out with 10 betta cups was great.

Sounds like a cool tank. I am in the process of setting up a 10 gal Sorority right now. Just added the water and a couple of plants last night. Once established, I too will be heading to the store to pick up 4 or 5 females. So excited!

My daughter wants to get two very badly ..just to breed them but as I see now it may prove difficult! Any tips in case I chose to take it on?

if your going to breed them. You Have to give the Male 3 Girls to choice from and once he choices , you must get the unchoosen girls out, they will eat the choosen girl!
    You Have to feed the girls specially food for a week before you breed them, Freezed Dried Blood Worms Might work.
    To Know The Male Is ready His Tank, must Be covered at the top with bubbles he made.
    The Hardest Part is The Tank For The Babies, Look It Up On Google, Before you do Anything!

5. sharat says:

im in in dia and i dont get blood waorms here

I just set up a 15 gallon tank with 5 female bettas. the 1st day everything was great and then one of them started nipping everyone's tails. i didn't think anything of it til she nipped half of one girl's tail off.I took the aggressive girl out and everything is going good again. Should i try to reintroduce her or just leave her to herself?

7. Kris says:

i'm goin to buy a female fighting fish and i'm goin to breed her with my twin tail male how long does it take to condition a female fighter and would if i breed them would the baby bettas come out all twin tails please write back as soon as possible?…..

• John says:

It took a week for my female betta to prepare. I fed her and the male frozen glass worms a.k.a. mosquito larvae, twice a day. I kept a large female in the tank with the large male but you have to have a lot of plants on one side of the tank for the female to retreat. Don’t forget to lower the water height to about 6-8 inches so that the male betta can retrieve the eggs better and to simulate a drought. Keep the water temperature at 75-80° F.
      If you breed a mixed pair of Bettas you will probably end up with mixed babies!

help!can somebody teach me how to breed a fighting fish! its hard to breed it here in the phillipines or email me if your willing t help me heres my email add. osorios_blacksheep@yahoo.com

i just want to know what to fed the newly hatch!

tnx

I set up a Betta Sorority in my 26 gallon tank with 11 lucky girls. They are absolutely amazing and active. There's tons of plants and hiding places for them to get away to, and I enjoy the beautiful colors of them all. My only question is how long does it take for a pecking order to form?

Breeding bettas is not easy. The male will most likely beat up on the female a bit, you need a separate tank to move her to once the breeding is over, she cannot live in the same tank as the male. And once the babies have grown old enough you will need separate tanks for all the males which could be over 100. They can have 300 babies in one breeding.

11. punith says:

Can Anyone in India please get me a female betta??? i’ll pay

12. Judith says:

Hello. My name is Judith and I am a sixth grader. I would like help breeding my fishies. They are fighting fishies. I have a boy and a girl, but how do I get babies? How can I get a fishy stork so the babies can come?

Love,
    Judith

13. kay kay says:

hello im learnig how to breed fish fighting fish im learnig about diseases but how do you put a boy and girl together souldent they fight they are fighting fish.

• Christie F. says:

Yes, the breeding process is often very dangerous for both the male and female betta. Injuries are not uncommon. This is why experienced betta breeders are very cautious about getting the fish into top shape before breeding. The bettas are only kept together for a short time to allow for fertilization and then separated. Breeders observe the bettas closely during the breeding process and sometimes have to abandon it if the fish become to aggressive.

14. joshua says:

if there are multipel males do they fight?

15. Janet says:

1. If you have multiple male bettas together in an undivided tank – yes, they will absolutely fight, and most likely to the death. If they don’t pass away immediately from the brutal battle, they will suffer an agonizingly slow death, brought about by an overabundance of stress and an inability to recover from their wounds. The chance for bacterial infection is high and mortally devastating to all fish involved. DON’T DO IT!!

16. Janet says:

2. Betta breeding is a pain in the @$$. Let’s assume (and you know what they say about making assuptions!) that you successfully get the male + female to mate, and get fertilized eggs in the bubble nest. Now, are you prepared to monitor the newly hatched day and night? Do you already have on hand all sorts of specialty live food, including infusoria, vinegar eels, microworms, and sorted other nasty microscopic creatures just to feed these teensy babies? Are you willing to wait months for them to show their colors? Go here BEFORE you even think of trying betta breeding: http://www.bettatalk.com/breeding_bettas.htm. Or better yet, just get some guppies – much more fun for the kids to watch / much less work for you! :)

17. david says:

she not fithing fish is a betta

18. Abigail B. says:

I just got three female bettas from my grandpa (who I love so dearly!!) And they’re in a 10 gal tank. I was wondering if a.) the colors play a huge role in their fighting- the two orange ones keep fighting while the purple one kind of does its own little thing… and b.) how long should it take for them to develop their hierarchy? If the fighting doesn’t stop soon, should I buy more bettas ( or other fish) to even out the odds? Help!!

19. John says:

Betta breeding was easy! I used the largest male and the largest female for breeding. Just cover half of a 10 gallon tank with plants, make it thick so the female can hide or eat in peace, lower the water level to about 6-8 inches, heat the water to 75-80°F,
    Add the male and female, feed frozen or live foods. Feed food in a way that it doesn’t go to waste and foul the water. Float a flat piece of styrofoam or a artificial leaf on the males side of the tank, the unplanted side. He will make a nest under this. You should have some eggs from the pair in about a week, the eggs will hatch in 24hrs! Remove the female when the eggs hatch because she “might” eat some of the fry at night. Remove the male once the babies start to swim around. This was just my experience. I missed the intercourse-instead I came home to a nest full of eggs! : )